Toshiba Adds New AVM49R Multimedia Reference Platform With Real-Time MPEG-1/2/4 Encoding and Decoding
Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc. announced its fourth TX System RISC Multimedia Reference Platform. Designated AVM49R, the complete reference design combines a powerful, highly-integrated 300 megahertz (MHz) Toshiba TMPR4938 MIPS-based RISC processor with the Vweb VW2010 MPEG-1/2/4 audio/video CODEC chip in a compact 6.7-inch by 6.7-inch mini-ITX form factor. Supporting real-time MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 encoding and decoding, targeted applications include IP set-top box, digital video recorders, personal video recorders, home gateways, and multimedia clients. The AVM49R Multimedia Reference Platform Hardware Development Kit (HDK) is now available for license to multimedia customers seeking to significantly reduce software and hardware development time.
Highlights of the AVM49R reference design include the following:
- Toshiba 300MHz TMPR4938XB 64-bit RISC processor, which includes an external bus controller (used for NOR flash), direct memory access controllers, an SDRAM controller, a Peripheral Components Interconnect (PCI) controller, a serial input/output (I/O) port, timer/counter control, a parallel I/O port, an interrupt controller, two 10/100
- Ethernet Controllers (EMACs), on-chip SRAM and an extended EJTAG interface. The built-in EMACs reduce component count, compared to the previous TMPR4925/26 implementation.
- The TMPR4938XB can scale up to 333MHz for higher system-level performance.
- Toshiba TC86C001F "GOKU" companion chip, a PCI-to-ATA66, and Universal Serial Bus (USB) 1.1 interface chip.
- Vweb Corporation VW2010 CODEC chip, a real-time MPEG-1/2/4 audio/video/system CODEC that provides encoding and decoding or simultaneous compression and decompression.
- MontaVista Software Inc. MontaVista Linux PE 3.1 operating system.
- Design allows a hard disk drive be added for media storage.
- Incorporates PCI slot for wireless connectivity or graphics devices.
- Includes standard S video and composite outputs for Standard Definition television.
- Mini-ITX form factor board is 6.7 inches by 6.7 inches (170mm x 170mm), and fits in standard chassis.
- Uses standard ATX PC power supply connector and generates three DC voltages on-board.
- 1.5 volts (V) for microprocessor and companion chip
- 1.8V for CODEC chip
- 2.5V for FPGA and CPLD
- AVM49R Multimedia Reference Platform HDK offered complete with board, design specification, component data sheets, schematics, gerber database, patch for Monta Vista Linux 3.1, CPLD/FPGA source code and documentation.
The AVM49R Multimedia Reference Platform HDK is currently available for customers to license at $10,000.00 per license.