The four new products include:
-- BD-R25 (write once, single-side, single-layer, 25GB)
-- BD-R50 (write once, single-side, dual-layer, 50GB)
-- BD-RE25 (rewritable, single-side, single-layer, 25GB)
-- BD-RE50 (rewritable, single-side, dual-layer, 50GB)
To ensure the new discs will be resistant to scratches and dirt even without external cartridges, they will be coated with TDK's new DURABIS 2 hard coating. DURABIS 2 technology has been specifically formulated for Blu-ray Discs. Mass production at TDK's Chikumagawa Techno Factory, which specializes in optical discs, will commence upon issue of licensing for the bare disc.
The main features of BD-R and BD-RE Blu-ray Discs include:
1. DURABIS 2 coating provides significantly greater resistance to scratches and dirt (particularly fingerprint smudges), ensuring safe use even without a cartridge.
2. Unique high-precision spin coating creates a supremely flat cover layer, resulting in highly stabilised recording and playback.
3. The BD-R disc utilises a recording layer of an inorganic material which is unaffected by exposure to light, thus offering outstanding archivability.
4. The BD-RE disc utilises a highly sensitive phase-change dye in the recording layer that realises stabilised characteristics even after as many as 10,000 rewrites.
5. High-precision stacking technology precisely overlays disc layers, delivering stabilised characteristics on both the upper and lower recording layers in a single-sided, dual-layer (50GB) disc.